This is week 4 of 52 wash days chronicling what I’ll be doing to gain length on my fine natural hair (I was working toward achieving waist length this year but some things have changed. Keep reading :-). Subscribe to this blog to be notified when future posts are published.
Pre-Poo: Organic, Unrefined Coconut Oil + Aubrey Organics Glycogen Protein Balancing Conditioner
Cleanser: Taproot Organics Charcoal and Tea Tree Shampoo Bar (liquified)
Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture Superfruit Complex 10 in 1 Renewal Conditioner + 1 lemon
Rinse Out Conditioner: None
Leave In Conditioner: Shea Moisture Superfruit Complex 10 in 1 Renewal Conditioner
Sealant: Carol’s Daughter Healthy Hair Butter with added Sweet Orange Essential Oil
Styler: Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter (not pictured)
Tools: Fingers, Hot Head Deep Conditioning Cap, Plastic Cap, Hair clips for sectioning, Q-Redew Handheld Hair Steamer,
Wash Day Procedure
- Worked in sections starting with Steaming. Steamed hair to help open the cuticles to receive the products better.
- Pre-pood steamed section of hair by smoothing the coconut oil down the length of hair. No detangling.
- On same section, smoothed the GPB down the length, really working it into the hair.
- Repeated for each section and loosely bantu knotted the section when down. Then, put on a plastic cap for 3 hours.
- Shampoo’d hair one section at a time with liquified shampoo bar
- Applied juice from a lemon mixed into the conditioner (this helps with removing build up caused by hard water – per the #CurlyGirlMethod handbook.
- Sat with conditioner/lemon mix with plastic cap & Hot Head for 10 minutes.
- Hopped back in shower and rinsed hair section by section.
- Combined sections into 2 and applied leave in followed by hair butter.
- Clipped the two sections to allow them to air dry by 50%
- Twisted hair in small sections using the almond jai butter
Focus & Thoughts
This week’s wash day micro focus was to clarify hair and return to protective styling.
As you can see, my hair is drastically shorter than it was since I started chronicling my wash days. I mentioned in my last wash day chronicle that I cut off 6-7 inches of hair while removing deep layers I no longer liked and didn’t fair well with my twist styles.
My cut isn’t bad as I thought. I just have to get used to feeling the wind on my neck! I guess I’m sort of getting used to it but I do miss my hair. My ends feel fabulous though. However, I’m still on my journey to waist length. It will just take a little longer My hair is in a bob shape now with the front being longer than the back. Some pieces may look longer but that’s just the lack of uniformity of my curl pattern. the front of my hair is a much looser curl .
I give today’s wash day a 4.5/5. I decided to twist using the Camille Rose Almond Jai Butter at the last minute because the Carol’s Daughter Healthy Hair Butter was not sufficient alone.
One thing about having shorter hair, wash day was cut down by at least an hour! LOL! and the method of smoothing the oil deeply into the hair followed by smoothing the conditioner deeply in (vs. combining them) was very effective. Detangling was easy breezy.
Last off, I can now enjoy my small twists as a protective style that didn’t turn out quite right last week I think they look great now though.