I’ve never been a fan of braid outs for a curly hair do. My natural hair always came out very choppy and piecey looking.
As my hair gets longer, the results get better. Even more than the a better result from increased length is the technique that I’ve been using.
Instead of putting my hair in box braids and releasing them, I cornrowed my hair and then released:
This is definitely my best braid out ever and while I don’t plan on doing them often (trying to keep the protective styling going), I will definitely redo them using the method of cornrowing vs. individual braids.
More on my braid out technique:
- Done on completely dry hair
- Used a dab of Doris of NY Olive Cream on each section before braiding
- Left the cornrows in for 2 days before releasing (this allows them to set longer – a must for my fine hair)
- Carefully unbraided each row with oiled hands
- Ran my fingers through the root of each section while holding head downward