Types of conditioners available to protect and repair natural hair in the summer and list of conditioners that are Radiant Brown Beauty improved. Not too long ago I shared how to take advantage of humid weather for hair growth. In that post, I mentioned the importance of protecting your hair from the sun’s UV rays (UVA and UVB). Your conditioners (rinse out, leave in and deep) are powerful allies in your arsenal of hair products for summer hair care. They protect and repair, providing your hair with prophylactic and therapeutic benefits. I’ll list them by type as well as share the brands I highly recommend:
- Rinse Out Conditioners – This type of conditioner not only helps to smooth the hair shaft but it also imparts nutrients to the hair that help restore moisture, shine and flexibility. Recommended rinse out conditioners: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Dove Nourishing Oil Care Conditioner, renew Moroccan Argan Oil
- Leave in Conditioners – This type of conditioner provides the same benefits as rinse outs with a few additional benefits: helps impart needed moisture to the hair strands and also provides your hair with a layer of antioxidant protection that can serve as a barrier between your hair and the sun’s UV rays. Recommended leave ins: Kinky Curly Knot Today, Karen’s Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia, Salerm 21, Eden’s Heart Oatmilk ‘n Honey Daily Conditioner
- Deep Conditioners – No matter what you use to protect your hair from environmental factors, your hair still needs additional therapy on a regular basis. It’s important to take the time to use a deep conditioner because it will help repair damage, strengthen the hair from within and impart moisture.. Recommended deep conditioners: Shea Moisture African Black Soap Purification Masque, Camille Rose Naturals Coconut Water Deep Penetrating Hair Treatment, Aubrey Organics GPB
It can not be overstated the importance of using all 3 types of conditioners. Summer can take a toll on your hair if you don’t properly protect it and treat it. In some cases, you can even use your rinse out as a leave in. The key is to keep your hair deeply conditioned and moisturized so that dryness and breakage can be kept at bay.
Are there any conditioners that you use specifically for summer hair care?
How summer humidity can aid with natural hair growth.
It’s growing season. The warmer the climate, the better it is for your hair. Increased humidity can provide your hair with a sort of green house effect environment. Yay!
Here are some tips on helping your hair to grow during this humid season:
- Increase those scalp massages!! The heat may have your hair in a perfect setting for growth but you need to take advantage of all that humidity. (Hopefully, you don’t live in a dry, hot climate. I’m a New Yorker so, I embrace the 2 months of humid weather while they’re here!). Massage your scalp morning and night if you can. Stimulate that growth and let the humidity do the rest. Here’s what I use to aid with my massages (I love it!):
- Keep your hair well moisturized.
The heat can leach moisture from your hair (not as much as in the winter, but still) so keep it very moisturized so that it doesn’t dry out while you’re in the sun.
- Use a product that contains protection from the sun. Alternatively, natural products like grapeseed oil and shea butter provide some sun protection for your hair.
- Embrace the wash and go. I mean really. Wash….and go. OK maybe I’m leaving out a little. Put in your products that will prevent frizz and then go. I get the softest, moisture filled wash and go’s when I apply my heavy moisturizing products. But here’s the thing, the humidity will kill your style if you don’t apply a little alcohol free gel to the mix. Now, the thing that’s going to make this wash and go super soft and hydrated is to seal everything in with a natural oil AFTER the gel. So, the oil is the last thing you will use and baby, will your hair love you at the end of the day!
I was literally walking around with totally undefined hair the other day but then I realized something. It was the softest, most moisturized poof ever! So, while I say embrace the wash and go, put your hair up into a loose high ponytail or other wash and go style that keeps your hair contained. I’ve seen some really cute styles on Youtube. Here is one video I absolutely adore:
I’ll get right to the point. I LOVE Kinky Kashmere Natural Hair Products!
Now, before I get into all the goodness that’s called, “Kinky Kashmere” (side note: I love the name… Cashmere (with a k) for your hair!), I must admit that my first impressions weren’t very high….bland packaging and the smell seemed a bit faint to me. It wasn’t a bad smell. There just didn’t seem like there was enough of it. I had purchased these products at the It’s All About the Curls meetup back in April when I went to the ATL Hair Show. A few ladies mentioned that the products worked really well for twist outs and braid outs. They claimed that I would get off the chain curl definition.
With those kind of glowing recommendations, how could I resist? And they were right,
In the following two videos I share my official review of Kinky Kashmere Natural Hair Products, including how I use the All in One Conditioner. Check them out: