In the quest for maintaining healthy hair, I’ve discovered that natural oils can play a huge role is protecting your hair in a number of ways. Natural oils should be a part of your staple line of hair care products because they work locking, sealing, preventing and boosting:
* To lock in moisture on wash day
* To seal your ends on wash day
* Prevent tangling and help with detangling
* Prevent breakage by providing necessary slip when dry styling
* Boost your conditioner’s effectiveness
Oils in general help to lubricate the hair (notice I didn’t say moisturize). I’ve even read articles about mineral oil being helpful. However, I refrain from it because it does my hair no good whatsoever.
There are many oils that you can use to keep your hair healthy including those of an ayurvedic nature. Ayurvedic oils are best when not mixed with any sort of preservatives or other “contaminants.”
Here are the oils I use (notice most are Ayurvedic or 100% natural):
- Brahmi Oil for use in a henna gloss
- Olive and Jamaican Black Castor Oil (JBCO) for scalp massages. JBCO is also used to seal my ends.
- Strong Roots Red Pimento Oil – I’m newly using this to see if it helps with my itchy scalp.
- Vatica Oil for my pre-poo (pre-shampoo for those new to natural hair care)
- Argan Oil to complete my hairstyles – you get amazing shine with this
- Burt’s Bees Nourishing Baby Oil (nothing like that stuff with mineral oil in it) to work through my hair daily to prevent tangles. It contains: Apricot kernel oil, Grape seed oil,Wheat germ oil, Fragrance, Sunflower seed oil,Rosemary leaf extract, Vitamin E, Soybean oil, beta-carotene, Canola oil, and Limonene (comes from the skin of citrus fruits)
- Carol’s Daughter Lisa’s Hair Elixir (a combination of Soybean oil, Sweet Almond oil, Olive Fruit oil, Peppermint oil, Sage oil, Rosemary Leaf oil, and perfume fragrance) to prevent fly aways and frizz when taking out my twist outs or braid outs. It’s also great fabulous smelling hair! I alternate it with the Burt’s Bees
- HOTD: 1 Bun, 3 Different Styles
- Soapalicious: What Makes Soap Drying To Your Skin
- How To Incorporate Essential Oils Into Your Skin Care Routine
So, lady. Did you like this post? Then why not sign up to receive updates. There’s plenty more like it.