Simple summer hair care tips for natural hair.
Summer time hair can be gorgeous hair. However, gorgeous hair isn’t as important as protected hair. As a matter of fact, without protected hair, you won’t have gorgeous hair! The sun and humidity can take a real toll on your strands so in today’s post I will share some tips on caring for your hair through the summer.
Summertime Hair Tips
- Protecting your hair from the sun. Using a natural oil like grape seed oil or a product containing vitamin E and Shea Butter can provide some natural protection from the sun to your strands. Wearing a lightweight hat will provide extra protection and can be very fashionable.
- Protecting your hair from chlorine. If you plan on going to the pool, soaking your hair with water before going into the pool will prevent your hair from absorbing too much of the chlorine water. It’s just like when you soak a sponge with water. If you try to add additional water to the sponge, it won’t absorb much because it’s already soaked with water. Soaking your hair with pure clean water before jumping in the pool will prevent it from absorbing too much of the chlorine water. That doesn’t mean you can skip the after pool wash though
- On wash day, I make the following changes to my hair care during the summer that vary from winter:
- Seal with light oil like Jojoba vs. using a heavy oil and a butter or butter alone.
- Incorporate wash and go’s using gel into my regimen. This makes for frizz-free low manipulation styling!
- Utilize protective styles like braided or twisted updos to keep long hair off of the neck. Too hot for all that!
Summertime protected hair IS gorgeous hair!