Last week I was reading blog posts on a hair blog and one of the ladies there is having some skin challenges. She was very frustrated and seemed to be having some difficulty with determining how to care for her skin.
This lovely lady and the blog I was reading will remain nameless but since I know she’s a reader of this blog, I hope that she’ll appreciate this post
Why A Daily Skin Care Regimen
Before I share my tips on how to personalize a daily skin care regimen, let me first share why you should have one to begin with
Following a daily skin care regimen (for your skin type/s) helps ensure that you are giving your skin what it needs. That’s not to say that your regimen stays the same either. It can change as your skin changes.
When you follow a skin care regimen to address your skin’s current needs, it’s easier to determine when a change takes place.
Personalizing Your Skin Care Regimen – Tips
No one skin type is exactly the same. Your skin can change with the seasons and certain parts of the body require more specific care than other parts. For example, you may experience extreme dryness during the winter where you may have to moisturize your body more often.
To personalize a skin care regimen to suit your skin’s needs, here are some tips:
- Because your skin may have various needs (acne, dryness, combination etc.), look for products that will address those needs specifically. It’s perfectly OK to spot treat combination skin with products to treat specific areas
- Take into account allergies. If you tend to have allergic reactions, shy away from skin care products that contain harsh chemicals. Read those ingredient labels.
- Don’t just rely on topical skin care products. Your skin’s health begins from within. Increasing your water intake and eating foods in their natural state is better for your skin’s appearance overall
- A full daily skin care regimen consists of cleansing, toning, moisturizing, and applying sunscreen. You can “kill two birds with one stone” by using a moisturizer with sunscreen in it (preferably SPF 30 as a rule of thumb).
- Remember to ensure your moisturizer has water as the first ingredient followed by a natural oil like olive, jojoba or coconut.
- Don’t forget weekly treatments to keep skin smooth like using an exfoliating product or facial mask.